.

My Bodhran


Last summer My Rare One went to Nova Scotia to visit friends. While driving around Cape Breton Island, she bought a large 18" bodhran drum as a surprise gift for me back in Alberta.

A bodhran (baw-RON) is an Irish frame drum played very fast with a wooden tipper. It provides the distinctive rhythms often featured in Celtic music.


The bodhran drumming technique is challenging to learn. And, of course, it takes a lot of practice to become proficient. Luckily for me, I've found an excellent bodhran teacher here in Edmonton to teach me the basics. I'm enjoying trying my hand at this new style (for me) of drumming.

Here's a really short clip of what a bodhran sounds like in the hands of a skilled drummer -- Caroline Corr of The Corrs. Needless to say, I sound nothing like this! But maybe someday?